This is Your Life Sherry

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Happy Birthday Mom!




Hi Mom!

You wouldn't let us have a party, so we decided to celebrate YOU anyway, right here online. I do hope you realize how much you are loved, cherished and admired. You are so important to so many people. You have touched so many lives and changed them all for the better.

Lately, I have been comparing my life now, to yours when we were growing up. I will tell you, I can't keep up! You were everywhere all the time. The 3 of us were never without you--you were at every event, even if they were on the same day in different towns. Usually you led it, like you did our Girl Scouts, or you coached it, like you did our softball teams, or you were a ref during our volleyball games. We always had notes too, well, I say notes, they were long notes that usually made me cry that wished us good luck, told us how much you loved us and how proud you were.

One thing that amazed me, while you were at all our activities, you made sure other kids got to where they needed to be. The year Kari won hurdles and had a track meet in California, you made sure she got there by taking her. The year Terri Sue needed to get to New Orleans or somewhere that direction, you loaded up and took her. You even took Libby and one of her friends to Fan Fair. I also know that you have mentored many--they talked to you, when they couldn't talk to their own families.

And on top of all that, you worked, taught us right from wrong, gave us responsibility and made sure we had a work ethic ( I have since discovered, this is a way to not have to fold all those socks yourself)-- and tried to keep us from killing each other. You even convinced Shane finally that there WAS a #7 between the numbers 6 and 8.

Dixie, Shane and I are lucky - You are our best friend Mom and you always have been. One thing I never understood-- kids not wanting their Mom around. Luckily, I never had to look for mine, she was right there-watching me grow up and enjoying it all with me- and I know Dixie and Shane feel the same.
The traditions- you made so many for us and love them just as much as we do. I remember many holidays, but I want to mention my first Easter in college. I couldn't come home, so you, MawMaw, Dixie and Shane came to me. You even hid Easter eggs in the hotel room. All the Easters after that, you still came up and convinced Shane to come with you. Alot of times you just came for the day, which was a long drive both ways.
I don't think some of the Scattered Piecers believed me at first, but although you have the furthest to travel, I told them, you usually are the first one there. I know this, because you showed up at the door of my dorm room one Saturday morning at 8am. You had a 5 hour drive and made my day. And then you proved me right the first time you went to Judy's. You were in Lockhart waiting for what you thought was an "appropriate" time to go on in to her home.
Mom, you have provided so many memories that I can't organize them all here. They just keep popping in my head.
I can say thank you for being our Mom and our friend and being a part of every memory I have of growing up.
You are the glue of the family Mom and we thank you for that. I thank you for the example you have set on being a mother, wife, grandmother and friend. I thank you for providing my children with the stability of an extended family that they know is there for them, cheering them on and loving them and never leaving them. The kids have asked on more than one occassion, how does Grammy remember all that, do all that. I just tell them "Grammy remember's everything and can do anything" (How do I know this, because we got Cabbage Patch dolls, when no one could find them)
Mom, have a wonderful birthday. We all wish we were there with you! Please know we love you so very much and don't forget - You promised me we could throw you a party when you turn 80---and you have to be there!!
I love you!
Holly

PS I want to thank the Scattered Piecers for giving me the opportunity to bring my Mom into one more area of my life. She quilted with me after I took my first quilting class at Polly's. I then moved to Arizona and quilted some out there, but not alot. When I moved back to Texas, I didn't really pick it back up, but Mom hadn't done much either. When we moved her one time, she gave me all her quilting fabric and said, "I just don't have time." I ended up moving back to Bryan and found Polly and started sewing again. I was introduced to this group and had told Mom about it. Then Granbury came up and I asked "Can my Mom come?" You said yes. I knew she needed you, but I also knew you all needed her. Now at the time, I didn't know you would get the Santa suit--but I did know you would get the bestest friend, alot of laughs, hugs, a great smile and I would continue to have my Mom involved in the things I do. Thank you all!

No comments: