This is Your Life Sherry

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Happy Happy Birthday Mom!




Mom ... wow, it just seems like yesterday that we were sitting at King's Inn for your 40th Birthday! ;-). Well, where to even start trying to wish you a Happy Birthday. First of all, I can't tell you how special you are to me - not only, hands down, THE best Mom in the world, but you are and have always been one of my best friends. Growing up, I don't think any of us (Holly, Shane or I) realized just what kind of jewel we had as a Mom, but looking back and telling stories to friends of mine that might not have known you then even I'm amazed ... you worked all day but still found time to coach our softball teams (BOTH of them -- as Holly and I grew in to different leagues) because you wanted to make us both feel special; you were our Girl Scout leader (and again, you were a leader to both of us - Brownies and Girl Scouts); at Girl Scout camp we were the envied ones bc you sent us each a letter and/or goodie bag every single day we were there; you coached us in summer track; you filled in for Ms. Curlee (our coach) when she couldn't be there at a volleyball game, track meet or tennis tournament. And some nights you would drive to two different towns to make sure you were at both mine and Holly's games. I can't think of one school function/sporting event, etc that you weren't sitting right there cheering us on. It looks as though we might have been spoiled rotten but you instilled in all of us a great sense of responsibility and work ethic -- oh how we loved waking up during the summers after you left for work and the first thing we had to do was go to the refrigerator to find each of our lists of chores for the day outlined out -- and we had to do it all before we could go play (oh how I hated the days I had "fold the whites"). You cheered and supported us through college and still seemed to make us feel like we were still "home" -- letters, cards almost every week. You came to every Parent's Weekend. Then you were the one to really support me in my move to Nashville -- saying, "if anything, just give it one year and if it doesn't work out you can always move back home and try something else." Well, it's worked out ok I think --it's been 12 years and I eventually met my husband here. All the while I've been here I have never not once really felt like I was as far away as I am bc you still send me those first thing in the morning emails "I love you. Have a good day" ... those just really make me smile and feel a little closer to all of you back in Texas. As we planned my wedding, again, I was worried we wouldn't get the chance to do it together .. but wow .... it was SO special bc you made sure to be here for my showers and to come shop for my dress with me (which I think we hit a homerun with) and just all the little things you did to help me stay on track and make sure I thought of everything. I wish I could have just bottled that whole time up bc it was so special to do it all with you. And you looked absolutely beautiful that day - and you made me so proud to be your daughter. Glenn just loves you to pieces too - and he feels pretty lucky to have such a great Mother-in-law ...like he said that night at our wedding reception -- he has the best mother-in-law in the world.

I could literally go on and on and on but overall I just think you are the most amazing person and I only hope you can know what you bring to everyone's life. You are the most caring and THE most generous and unselfish person I know on this earth.

I just hate you had to replace me, Holly and Shane with Hannah, Butch and Amy ... after meeting the dogs, Glenn thinks they actually all resemble the personalities of each of us in the birth order too ... and I started thinking about it .. and they actually kind of do. Maybe proving the whole you are influenced by your surroundings and not born in to who you become.

Mom, I love you and I want you to enjoy your 60th birthday .. and the whole decade but you've got 60 more to go! I realllly hate we had to miss spending the weekend in San Antonio for your birthday -- you should have been born in the winter instead of the Hurricane season.

Dixie

No comments: